| At Banpu, we not only recognize that our business operations impact on the environment, but also believe that a positive attitude towards environmental management benefits all. The Company is committed to taking an environmentally responsible approach to all our business activities. In this respect, we work towards 3 principles:-
Climate change is the critical global challenge that leads to risks of serious damage to global prosperity, sustainable development and well being of the society. It is requiring all parts of society to take extensive actions.
Banpu aware needs of urgent actions to keep the increasing temperature to be below 2 oC by 2050. We aim to be a part of the solutions and support global agreement on climate change. The challenges and opportunities from climate change are the integral part of our sustainable development. We commit to
- Ensure our compliance related to climate change in every country we operate.
- Seek to reduce our greenhouse gas emission by ensuring energy efficiency, utilization of low emission and cost effective technologies as a part of our operation planning.
- Measure our greenhouse gas directly and indirectly, reduction progress and periodically communicate the results to stakeholders.
- Build capacity to understand fully the implications of climate change for our business and to develop a coherent business strategy.
- Monitor risks, opportunities and implications of climate change as our corporate-wide risk management process.
- Invest and plan for business continuity regarding climate change.
- Support our host communities and stakeholders for adapting to a changing climate.
- Drive sustainable growth of the company with effective response to climate change and transition of future business investment portfolio.
- Seek to develop our capacity and invest in low carbon or renewable energy.
- Continue to support initiatives, research and development of low greenhouse gas emission technologies and renewable energy that are appropriate to our business.
- Seek to engage with other enterprises or stakeholders to reduce carbon emissions.
- 15% reduction of greenhouse gas intensity from base year 2012 by 2020
- A proportion of renewable energy production capacity is not less than 20% by 2025